About Proper Cloth
Proper Cloth is a startup specializing in custom clothing ecommerce.
We see a future where people stop buying clothes in standard sizes that don’t fit, or in styles they don’t love. We see a future where the fashion industry doesn’t send 30% of what it makes into a landfill every year. We see a future where clothing is made on-demand.
There aren’t many businesses like ours. We’re half technology startup and half fashion brand. We’re not venture backed. We’re profitable and growing fast. We have product-market-fit and the stability to do things right. We’re building something to last.
We've been called “One of the most successful made-to-measure e-commerce sites” by Esquire.
Some data points:
- 51 employees total (November 2019)
- Average employee age: 29
- Headquartered in Soho, New York
- Profitable, not venture backed
- Over 200,000 customers worldwide
- Over $20m annual revenue
- Founder CEO
Proper Cloth Technology
Our technology team:
Our development team (currently) consists of 5 people:
- 1 senior full-stack developer
- 1 mid-level back end engineer
- 1 front end designer/developer
- 1 product manager (founder)
- 1 senior QA engineer
Our technology stack:
Proper Cloth is a fully custom e-commerce platform that we’ve developed and evolved over the years since we started in 2008. Within this, here are some of the technologies we leverage:
- Backend Stack
- PHP 5.6.36
- MySQL, Redis
- AWS, S3, SQS, CDN Planet
- Imagemagick, FPDF, wkhtmltopdf
- SOAP, Sockets
- Stripe, Paypal, Avalara, Sendgrid
- Data Analysis Stack
- Snowflake data warehouse
- DBT, Stitch, Mode
- Snowplow, Google Analytics, Kiss Metrics
- Front End Stack
Some of our development principles and values:
- Keep a small, but talented team
- We believe that a small, talented team of developers can generally outperform a larger team, producing and deploying updates faster and with less errors.
- We try to hire self-starters that can be strong independent contributors
- Opensource infrastructure
- When possible we seek to customize open source tools rather than purchase vendor provided tools
- Plan carefully, then build
- Most work starts with the product manager writing out a detailed specification for what is to be developed. Developer then has a complete picture for what they are to develop and can make a clear plan and begin.
- Keep development phases short and flexible
- A good development phase should take 1-2 weeks
- Get things done quickly, deploy, move onto the next thing, stay flexible.
- Stay humble
- For all things we do, the main point is to improve the product, improve our team processes, and improve our skills.
We’re looking for an experienced, senior back-end developer to join our small, tight-knit engineering team to help take our custom ecommerce site to the next level.
In this role you will largely help us develop new application software, refactor existing code, and work to implement groundbreaking new shopping experiences. However, being a small team means you'll also get to work on a wide range of projects that touch every aspect of our business.
You'll have the autonomy and encouragement to make decisions that help to drive what we do – and how we build it. Additionally, you'll be a key part of solving a unique and challenging set of problems in the ecommerce space.
We want to build the best custom fit shopping platform - and we need your help.
- Experience playing a major role in the back end development of websites used by millions of users
- 5+ years experience developing fast, scalable backend software
- 5+ years experience PHP
- 5+ years experience with JS (Jquery/VueJS)
- Expert in LAMP, MacOS
- Expert in relational databases (SQL) and optimizing queries for handling large requests
- Experience working with third party APIs, such as Stripe, Paypal, SendGrid
- Experience developing custom SOAP and REST APIs
- Understanding of AWS
- Passion for web technologies and keeping up-to-date with new tools and techniques
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment as a key contributor
- Experience playing a major role in the back end development of an Ecommerce website used by millions of users
- Experience with Redis or MongoDB
- Experience with Docker or container-based architecture
- Experience with Node
- Node NPM manager
- Experience with task runners (Webpack/Gulp/Grunt)
- Experience with CSS pre/post-processing (SCSS, LESS, PostCSS)
- Expert in Git with agile devops experience
- Experience making complex back-end architecture design choices
- Experience building APIs and microservices
- Experience with Composer
This is a full-time position. We prefer candidates based in New York, but will also consider remote candidates.